Monday, February 4, 2013

DIY Mermaid Shirt

I made myself a mermaid shirt! And I'm going to show you how to make your very own!

First, grab some supplies. You'll need a shirt (I got mine at Goodwill for 50 cents)
Foam core or some thick styrafoam (I reccommend styrafoam, it will be easier)
An xacto or wood carving knife
fabric paint
 1. Draw your shell on your foam. Mine's about the size of my fist, but I would probably have liked it a little bigger.
 2. If you're using foam core, first you'll have to remove the paper. Cut out the outline of your shape and then slide your blade under the paper layer to remove it.
 3. Now you'll need to carve into the foam. Remove all the foam that isn't part of your shell shape.
 4. Go in and do the details. You'll need to remove the paper that's on top of the shell, too, because the foam will absorb the paint better.
 5. Paint up your stamp!
 6. Stamp it, and go back in and fill any holes! Make sure you try the shirt on first and mark where your boobs are so the shells are in the right place!
 7. Ta da! You've got a mermashirt!
I felt as pretty as a princess in this thing. I'll show you how I wore it soon!


15 comments:

  1. So cute! Love it!

    Http://streetlily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO CUTE! I love the idea of stamping your own shirt! Now all you need is an aqua sequined mermaid skirt and you'll be all set :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this! so simple and yet so darling! you are so creative! i am also so excited to receive your print in the mail that i ordered from you!

    lindsey louise

    hellomrrabbit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for ordering it! I sent it out on Friday!

      Delete
  4. Olá :)
    Nomeie-te para o Liebster Award

    Visita o meu blogue: http://andreiafsoares.blogspot.pt/

    beijinhoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. The shirt looks great on you, what a fun post! :)

    <3 Megan
    http://kiddotv.blogspot.com


    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh Rachel, you always have the cutest DIYs! I like that they're all adorable, but super easy to do. Unless you're me and your hopeless, of course. haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha, what a fun idea! looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loooooooooove! Ah I love your diys so much! This one is awwwwesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! Really. This is something I can probably do a bunch of. :D Thanks for the idea. I’ve always been confined to using the silkscreen for DIY shirt printing. A fabric stamp can probably be improvised! Now it’s time for me to think of my own cool design. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see what you come up with! There are also a lot of rubber mat materials you can look into that carve really well with the right tools!

      Delete